The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve

The Dalmore…to be honest we haven’t really tasted many expressions from this distillery. Nothing negative about this distillery its just that We simply have not taken the time to get to exploring the whiskies it produces. The Dalmore originally released is Cigar Malt a few years ago and many took an immediate liking to it. A nice sherried dram that you can imagine yourself sipping in front of a fireplace on a nice leather sofa. But the Cigar Malt soon disappeared – well at least in name. There was some confusion as to the origins and purpose of the Cigar Malt, from wayward ideas that cigars or tobacco had some hand in the production/aging of the spirit to thoughts that it was meant to be enjoyed while leisurely puffing away on a cigar.  To fill the void of the departed Cigar Malt the Gran Reserva was released – but it just wasn’t the same and apparently the demand for the Cigar Malt remained.  The Dalmore responded to this demand by bringing back the Cigar Malt, but now with the added “Reserve” moniker.  The Cigar Malt Reserve now has a higher percentage (70%) of Oloroso Sherry in the vatting with the remaining 30% consisting of ex-bourbon casks.

The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve ~$125
44% ABV

Fragrant at a distance, the nose of this one breathes an enticing sweet butter caramel with touches of burnt earth, a hint of something medicinal and honey. A full-malt body parcels out oranges, leather, a little roasted char, and slightly smokey sweets. These flavors and a subtle spiciness linger. A pleasing experience.

Comments:  This is a very refined, regal sherried whisky that almost everyone would enjoy.  A relaxing whisky at the end of the day or to share while conversing with a good friend.  The price point is a little steep but not outrageous.  If you like this flavor profile in a whisky then I don’t think that you will be disappointed.  There are some whiskies that I enjoy that others argue are over priced and better whiskies can be had for cheaper – but my response is those other whiskies aren’t the same and I like this whisky.

Thanks to the Baddish Group for kindly providing us with this sample.


Filed under Dalmore

2 responses to “The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve

  1. This is one of my favorite lines of scotch. The only disappointing thing about the re-release is the apparent escalation in price. I think they may have shot too high, I’m not certain if they will keep the Gran Reserva, if they do then I guess that is how they are justifying the price difference.

  2. Great point. The price increase from the prior release is pretty significant.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s